EDFA for CATV, FTTH and HFC Applications
The EDFA is suitable for long haul transmission networks or FTTH distribution networks. This optical amplifier is packaged in a 19” rack mount housing to provide a complete optical communications solution. Maxcom offers our MX-A5400 platform which can be ordered with 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 and 512 output ports and various output powers.
- General Details
The output power available is from 16.5 dBm to 23 dBm.
The MX-A5400 series is a high-power multi-port EDFA with a gain spectrum band within 1540~1563nm. It is designed for the application of a single channel or 1~8 continuous ribbon channels (ITU wavelengths). This series of EDFA offers a flexible and low-cost solution for a CATV systems large coverage area.
The MX-A5400 series EDFA’s are a high performance, multiple optical output EDFA’s designed for analog and digital CATV QAM signals. Maxcom’s 1550 optical amplifiers and EDFA’s adopt world class pump lasers and American OFS erbium-doped optical fiber components. Excellent APC, ACC and ATC control, superb design in the ventilation and heat-dissipation ensure long life and a highly reliable operation of the pump laser. The LCD at the front panel offers equipment status and warning alarms. The laser will switch off automatically if optical power is lost, which offers security protection for the laser.
The EDFA is designed to extend a 1550 nm CATV system fiber without the need to convert back to RF. Combined with our MX-T8500 series externally-modulated laser transmitter, system ranges of over to 200 km are possible when using multiple EDFA’s.
Typically, a fiber CATV system operates in single wavelength that has no strict requirement on gain flatness. The MX-A5400 booster amplifier is featured with low NF and high-saturated output power. It is applicable for Primary Headends, Secondary Headends, Hubs, OTN’s and line relay, as well as other optical communication networks. The MX-A5400 is applied commonly and widely compatible with other EDFA’s and Transmitters in a CATV system.
- Example Application
- Model Selection
- MX-A5400(A) EDFA – 1RU chassis, total output power up to 18.5 dBm, offers 8 optical outputs.
- MX-A5400(B) EDFA – 2RU chassis, total output power up to 22 dBm, offers up to 32 optical outputs.
- MX-A5400(C) EDFA – 3RU with up to 256 ports and the (D) version with up to 5612 output ports available with multiple outputs (see ordering matrix)
- 1540~1563nm operating bandwidth for optical amplifier
- 500~80,000mW (27~49dBm) high output power
- Low noise figures ( Typ ≤4.5dB, Max ≤5.0dB )
- Built-in low noise pre-amplifier, substantially decrease the CNR, MER degradation of the system
- High performance, high reliability
- 8~256 output ports
- Optional dual optical input, built-in 2 – 1 optical switch
- Dual power supply option, 1+1 backup
- RS232, SNMP
- Efficient space, flexible installation and simple operation
- Excellent P/P ratio
- AM CATV
- Digital CATV
- FTTx PON
- Order Inquiry